This week is Volunteers Week and WLS, in common with many charitable organisations, is reliant on its community of volunteers – the people who just get things done.
Our volunteers include:
- Officers and Members of Council – your board of trustees setting the strategic direction and day-to-day management of the Synagogue
- Rites & Practices Committee – overseeing preparation of services and other matters of religious practice
- New Generations Committee – overseeing the Cheder, children’s education and related matters
- Friendship Club – arranging events, transport & refreshments so that the wider Woodford community can meet and socialise
- Refurbishment Group – providing independent advice and expertise for the building refurbishment project
- Building Group – carrying out routine repairs and maintenance of the building
- Security Team – co-ordinating with local police, the CST and Cheder parents (who help with security on Saturday mornings)
- Bimah Team – editing, producing and distributing Bimah our magazine
- Woodford In Touch Group – staying in contact with our more elderly and less mobile members
- Choir & Woodford Resouled Musicians – providing songs and music to our services
- Lay Readers – who lead some of our services
Others volunteer to undertake specific tasks (marriage, burials, etc) or do ad-hoc tasks (IT upgrades, demographic mapping, etc) as and when required. Many of them are now getting involved in various sub-groups discussing specific areas of interest in relation to the proposed merger with Bet Tikvah.
There are some things that all our volunteers seem have in common. Firstly, they are very friendly and always seem to be cheerful as they go about doing their volunteering. They must also get a lot out of volunteering because invariably they volunteer to do more than one thing. It is also fair to say that they are very modest – if you thank them they often reply along the lines of “oh it’s no bother”.
Another thing that they all have in common is that they are always willing to welcome new volunteers to help get things done. So if any of the tasks outlined above appeals to you – or if you have any special skills or expertise – we can find opportunities for you to volunteer; so please do get in touch via the office.
We are planning a volunteers service later in the year; a chance to get all our volunteers together to say thank you – more details to follow.
Of course, volunteers welcomed to help with refreshments.